Monday, July 25, 2016

Hats on display

A rather embarassingly long time ago, having read my sister talking about decorating display heads at our shared Jupiter Hollow blog, I picked up my own styrofoam head to decoupage at a Lincraft sale. I finally got around to doing it over the last fortnight. The small boy helped. With some modest interest in paper choice and ripping but enthusiastically when it came to paste. (We later decoupaged the cut out firetruck you can see in the foreground of the picture below. And a box. He really got into pasting.)
The head in progress.
I selected a range of pink and green card-making papers which I got for free in various craft magazines. 
Finished!
And now that I have a classy decoupaged display head, I can take better photos of hats.

This cloche in variegated pink wool was I believe made from a magazine pattern that I've since discarded. I liked it because it has a facing, an unusual feature in crocheted hats. This means the underside of the brim is a separate piece, joined at the brim, giving extra weight and a crisp edge. This has been my go-to hat this winter. 
The cloche has a facing which makes for a nice brim.
The other hat I'm showing off today is my leaf beret. The original vintage pattern is from a Coats and Clark leaflet "Hats and bags" (number 74)  reproduced by Bramcost Publications. You can see why the original picture attracted me as I went though.  
Such a jaunty beret!
Their version is all in ivory, which probably gave a very subtle effect, but I embraced the leavy air in green and brown.
My version of the vintage pattern.
I don't think I handled the millinery wire around the edge of the crown very well so it lacks something of the crisp angle of the original. I adore it though. 
The leaf decoration, also wired.
 I had to adapt the pattern slightly and there is one ambiguously worded part of the side crown instructions which I've completed one way here and am trying another alternative in the version I'm making for my mother.  But that's why we love vintage patterns.

I'm amazed at how much difference a display head makes to how the hats photograph. They look so polished! It almost makes me wish I'd done the decoupage a few years ago... except then I wouldn't have the memory of my son proudly showing off the head he helped mummy make in our Skype with my mother. That's worth three years of no decent hat photographs.

4 comments:

  1. Super jaunty! I love it, especially the leaf detail. Is it a separate piece stitched on? I think it is so good you should try it on other hats too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a separate piece. You are right, I should work up a brooch version to attach to other hats.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful makes! The green and brown number knocked my socks off. I would wear that in the quickest of heartbeats. Hats with leaves = epic millinery love in my books. Thank you very much for sharing some of your wonderful creations with us, sweet dear.

    Big hugs & happy mid-August wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete